Furniture Donation Guidelines
Furniture Donation Online Form
Gently used furniture is provided to individuals and families moving out of homelessness, as well as to countless others desperately trying to make ends meet. “Gently used” furniture means it is clean, functional, free of cooking smells or heavy spices, pet hair and not in need of repair. Kindly note our clients move into small spaces, large furniture pieces will not fit. There is a service fee for all pick ups.
- Please complete the online donation form after reviewing the items we pick up https://bayareafurniturebank.org/furniture-donation-form/
- Email photos and measurements to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will review the form and photos and contact you
The Service fee for all donation pick ups is a minimum of $145.00. If there is a large quantity of furniture, access difficulty, or unforeseen challenges additional charges will apply.
Furniture is essential to help turn a living space into a home. The furniture we pick up needs to be clean, in good condition, free of smells, not in need of repair and protected from the elements.
We do not accept furniture with rips, stains, tears, cigarette burns, water damage, signs of frayed fabric and/or pet hair. Items must be from a non-smoking and pet-free households.
We have the right to refuse any furniture that does not meet our standards.
Consider following these guidelines, when thinking of donating items.
Furniture must be:
– Gently used, good and/or new items
– Safe for use, clean, and functional
– Ready-to-use condition, with all parts assembled
– Upholstered items must be free of stains, tears and pet hair/odors
Items We Pick up
Our clients move into small spaces, we are only looking for the following pieces of furniture:
- Chest of Drawers
- Kitchen Tables
- Kitchen and Dining Chairs (without wheels/casters)
- Coffee Tables
- Night Tables
- End Tables
- Sofas – No longer than 7 feet (No recliner parts)
- Sleeper sofas – No larger than full size (54” x 75”)
- Easy Chairs – No recliners and not wider than 3 feet
- Bookcases – 4×4 feet maximum
- Table Lamps
- Floor Lamps
If it is not on the list, we unfortunately cannot accept it.
Items We DO NOT Pick up
- Sectional sofas
- Oversize easy chairs wider than 3 feet
- Rocking chairs
- Sectional bookshelves
- Entertainment centers, TV consoles
- China cabinets, hutches
- Chairs with wheels/casters
- Large, sectional or L-Shape desks
- Filing cabinets
- Office chairs
- Box springs
- Bed frames
- Glass or marble top furniture
- Sconces or hanging light fixtures
- Kitchen items
- Grandfather clocks
- Pianos or organs
- Window coverings
Pick Up Locations
We collect residential donations from the following cities located south of highway 92 and north of highway 152 (Gilroy)
Almaden, Atherton, Campbell, Cupertino, Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Los Gatos, Menlo Park, Monte Sereno, Mountain View, East Palo Alto, Palo Alto, Portola Valley, Redwood City, San Carlos, North San Jose, West San Jose, Santa Clara, Saratoga, Stanford, Sunnyvale, Woodside.
Staging Items for Fast Residential Removal
It is best to leave the items in the following places:
- First floor
- The garage
- On your covered porch
- The closest place to your entrance
- If you leave items outside, such as in the driveway or loading area, protect the items with a secured tarp.
Volume Commercial Donations
We will be happy to talk to you. Please contact us directly, as these opportunities are considered on a case by case basis.
BAFB doesn’t estimate the value of the used items
If you need an itemized value of the items you want to donate, we recommend using this website to calculate the value of your used furniture: http://bluebookfurniture.com/
BAFB will provide a Donor Tax Form
A completed Donor Tax Form will be provided to you which will include your name, contact information, date of the donation, and a list of the donated items. In case of a large pickup, we will accept a compresensive list of items, which will be attached to your tax form.
Who Receives Your Furniture?
The Bay Area Furniture Bank’s mission is to promote dignity and stability in our community by redirecting donated furniture to families in need.
Our clients are primarily low-income individuals and families who lack the resources to meet their most basic furniture needs. Most cannot afford to purchase beds to sleep on, or tables to eat on, and rely on our help to obtain them.
While several agencies in the area work to connect low-income families to food and housing, BAFB is the only organization in Silicon Valley focusing on providing furnishings and beds to help families turn housing into a home.
We redirect gently used furniture to thousands of deserving individuals and families.