Frequently Asked Questions
How do I book a furniture pick-up in Santa Clara County?
To book a furniture pick-up in Santa Clara County, please fill out the online form here to have us call you. At this time, we are limited to receiving donations in Santa Clara County. We receive furniture donations from residential, commercial, and business donors as well as colleges, hotels and retirement homes.
Is there a pick-up service fee?
Our Service Fee is $95 to cover the operational costs associated with your pick-up. If there is a large number of items to be collected, and/or they are located at a distant site, additional charges will apply.
To provide cost-effective pick-ups, we ask our donors to include at least two or three pieces of furniture such as: table/chairs, dresser, and sofa. There are exceptional cases in which one item can be picked-up; but, more pieces are appreciated to maximize efficiency of operation.
The donation request is set a level that ensures we can run the service as a sustainable business model in the pursuit of our goal that everyone transitioning from homelessness has access to furniture.
Specifically, the pick-up donation allows us to:
- Operate a professional furniture removal service
- Employ schedulers, drivers, navigators, and helpers to remove the items directly from your home or business and move them to our storage facility
- Pay rent on our storage and staging spaces
- Help pay for the delivery costs of moving furniture to a family in need
- Sustain a 501 (C)(3) non-profit charity that is only partly funded by financial donations and grants
What specific items do we pick-up?
We accept the following items:
- Sofas – No longer than 7 feet (No recliner parts)
- Sleeper sofas – No larger than full size (54” x 75”)
- Easy Chairs – No recliners and no wider than 3 feet
- Bookcases – No taller than 6 feet
- Dressers – No wider than 4 feet
- Chest of Drawers
- Dining Tables – No longer than 4.5 feet
- Kitchen Tables
- Kitchen and Dining Chairs
- Table Lamps
- Floor Lamps
- Coffee Tables
- Night Tables
- End Tables
- Kitchenware (utensils, pots, pans, plates)
- Small kitchen appliances
If it is not on the list, we unfortunately cannot accept it.
Required condition of items for pick-up
We pick-up the core types of furniture essential to help turning a living space into a home. However, they need to be in good useable condition. A good test is to ask yourself: Would I give this furniture to a close friend or family member?
Gently used furniture is clean, functioning, free of cooking smells or heavy spices, and not in need of repair. Bay Area Furniture Bank does not have the space to clean or repair soiled or damaged items. Please do not attempt to give us furniture that has rips, stains, tears, cigarette burns, water damage, showing signs of frayed fabric and/or pet hair.
Please send us pictures whenever possible to help determine its acceptability. Your donated furniture will find its way into the home of one of our clients. As such, we will only accept items that can be used as intended and valued by the furniture recipient. As long as your furniture has been gently used, we’d love to accept it for the community in need.
What specific items we DO NOT pick-up?
- Living Room items such as:
- Sectional sofas
- Oversize easy chair
- Sectional bookshelves
- China cabinets
- Office furniture such as
- Sectional or L-Shape desks
- Filing cabinets (2 or 4 drawers, or lateral cabinets)
- Office chairs
- Bedroom items:
- Beds (including frames, box spring, mattresses)
- Glass on top of furniture
- Light fixtures
Furniture Donation Form
Please note we only pick up donations from the following cities:
Almaden, Atherton, Campbell, Cupertino, Gilroy, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Los Gatos, Menlo Park, Monte Sereno, Mountain View, East Palo Alto, Palo Alto, Portola Valley, North San Jose, West San Jose, Santa Clara, Saratoga, Stanford, Sunnyvale, Woodside.