Furniture Donations FAQs
We take the safety of our employees, clients and partners very seriously. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, we have been forced to discontinue all furniture pickups. Thank you for your understanding.
We hope to resume the regular schedule by late Summer.
The Bay Area Furniture Bank’s mission is to promote dignity and stability in our community by redirecting donated furniture to families in need.
Our clients are primarily low-income individuals and families who lack the resources to meet their most basic furniture needs. Most cannot afford to purchase beds to sleep on, or tables to eat on, and rely on our help to obtain them.
We serve all ages throughout the Santa Clara and San Mateo counties. While several agencies in the area work to connect low-income families to food and housing, BAFB is the only organization in Northern California focusing on providing furnishings and bedding to help families turn housing into a home.
We redirect gently used furniture and houseware items to better the lives of thousands of deserving families.
Items we pickup
- Sofas – No longer than 7 feet (No recliner parts)
- Sleeper sofas – No larger than full size (54” x 75”)
- Easy Chairs – No recliners and no wider than 3 feet
- Bookcases – No taller than 6 feet
- Dressers – No wider than 4 feet
- Chest of Drawers
- Dining Tables – No longer than 4.5 feet
- Kitchen Tables
- Kitchen and Dining Chairs
- Table Lamps
- Floor Lamps
- Coffee Tables
- Night Tables
- End Tables
- Kitchenware (utensils, pots, pans, plates)
- Small kitchen appliances
If it is not on the list, we unfortunately cannot accept it.
Items we DO NOT pick-up?
- Sectional sofas
- Oversize easy chair
- Sectional bookshelves
- China cabinets
- Sectional or L-Shape desks
- Filing cabinets (2 or 4 drawers, or lateral cabinets)
- Office chairs
- Beds (including frames, box spring, mattresses)
- Glass on top of furniture
- Light fixtures
Required condition of items for pick-up
Gently used furniture is clean, functioning, free of cooking smells or heavy spices, and not in need of repair. Bay Area Furniture Bank does not have the space to clean or repair soiled or damaged items. Please do not attempt to give us furniture that has rips, stains, tears, cigarette burns, water damage, showing signs of frayed fabric and/or pet hair.
Consider following these guidelines when thinking of donating items
– Quality, gently used, good and new items accepted
– Items must be safe, clean, and functional and
– Items must be in ready-to-use condition, with all parts assembled
– Items must be free of rust, food residue and not chipped
– Upholstered items must be free of stains, tears and pet hair/odors
– Items must be from a non-smoking and pet-free household
– Kitchen items must be clean and functional
We ask that you please
- review our frequently asked questions
- send us “honest” pictures at firstname.lastname@example.org, and
- complete the online donation form, located at https://bayareafurniturebank.org/furniture-donation-form/ this way, we will have all necessary information to contact you regarding the potential pickup.
Pick-up Service Fee?
Our Service Fee is a minimum of $95 to cover the operational costs associated with your pick-up. If there is a large number of items to be collected, stairs, disassembly, and/or they are located at a distant site, additional charges will apply.
To provide cost-effective pick-ups, we ask our donors to include at least two or three pieces of furniture such as: table/chairs, dresser, and sofa. There are exceptional cases in which one item can be picked-up; but, more pieces are appreciated to maximize efficiency of operation.
The donation request is set a level that ensures we can run the service as a sustainable business model in the pursuit of our goal that everyone transitioning from homelessness has access to furniture.
The Service fee allows us to:
- Operate a professional furniture removal service
- Employ schedulers, drivers, navigators, and helpers to remove the items directly from your home or business and move them to our storage facility
- Pay rent on our storage and staging spaces
- Help pay for the delivery costs of moving furniture to a family in need
- Sustain a 501 (C)(3) non-profit charity that is only partly funded by financial donations and grants
Please note that when we do pickups, we collect donations from the following cities:
Almaden, Atherton, Campbell, Cupertino, Gilroy, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Los Gatos, Menlo Park, Monte Sereno, Mountain View, East Palo Alto, Palo Alto, Portola Valley, North San Jose, West San Jose, Santa Clara, Saratoga, Stanford, Sunnyvale, Woodside.