Furniture Donation Guidelines
Halting Furniture Pickup
Because of space limitation, we cannot accept any other items at this time.
Thank you for your request. At this time, our Furniture Donation Program has been temporarily suspended as a result of recent large volume donations.
Unfortunately, we do not have the space required to accept any additional furniture at this time.
As soon as storage space becomes available, we will resume the Furniture Donation Program, probably mid to late fall.
Photos and Measurements Needed For Review
Gently used furniture can be provided to individuals and families moving out of homelessness, as well as to countless others desperately trying to make ends meet. “Gently used” furniture means it is clean, functional, free of cooking smells or heavy spices, pet hair and are not in need of repair.
Email “Honest” photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Honest” pictures of the items you wish to donate.
- If the items have some wear and tear, we ask that you
- Take pictures of any wear and tear, stained or damaged pieces, so that we can review the necessary work that may be required to refurnish or finish the items.
- Measurements of the items
- Your name and contact information, so that we can call/email you.
We will review the photos and contact you, should we have any questions, and/or let you know which items we could find a new home for.
Items We Pick up
Because of space limitation, we are only looking for the following items:
- Chest of Drawers
- Kitchen Tables
- Kitchen and Dining Chairs (without wheels/casters)
- Coffee Tables
- Night Tables
- End Tables
- Sofas – No longer than 7 feet (No recliner parts)
- Sleeper sofas – No larger than full size (54” x 75”)
- Easy Chairs – No recliners and no wider than 3 feet
- Bookcases – No taller than 6 feet
- Table Lamps
- Floor Lamps
- Small kitchen appliances (counter top only)
If it is not on the list, we unfortunately cannot accept it.
We pick up the core types of furniture, essential to help turning a living space into a home. However, they need to be in good, gently used useable condition.
Gently used furniture is clean, functional, free of cooking smells or heavy spices, and not in need of repair. Bay Area Furniture Bank does not have the space to clean or repair soiled or damaged items.
Please do not attempt to give us furniture that has rips, stains, tears, cigarette burns, water damage, signs of frayed fabric and/or pet hair. Items must be from a non-smoking and pet-free household.
We have the right to refuse any furniture that does not meet our standards.
Consider following these guidelines, when thinking of donating items.
Furniture must be:
– Gently used, good and/or new items
– Safe for use, clean, and functional
– Ready-to-use condition, with all parts assembled
– Upholstered items must be free of stains, tears and pet hair/odors
We ask that you please
- Review our frequently asked questions
- Send “honest” pictures to email@example.com, and
- Complete the online donation form, located at https://bayareafurniturebank.org/furniture-donation-form/
this way, we will have all necessary information to contact you, regarding the potential pickup.
Items we DO NOT Pick up?
- Sectional sofas
- Oversize easy chair
- Sectional bookshelves
- China cabinets
- Oversize mirrors
- Kitchen and Dining Chairs (with wheels/casters)
- Sectional or L-Shape desks
- Filing cabinets (2 or 4 drawers, or lateral cabinets)
- Office chairs
- Beds (including box spring, mattresses)
- Bed Frames with loose hardware
- Twin, Full and Queen frames with hooks (only per office’s approval)
- Glass-top of furniture
- Sconces or Hanging Light Fixtures
- Large Appliances
- Grandfather Clocks
- Pianos or Organs
- Window Coverings
If in doubt, email us photos (firstname.lastname@example.org). We will let you know if we can find a new home for your items.
Pick Up Locations
We collect residential donations from the following cities located South of HWY 92 and North of HWY 152 (Gilroy)
Almaden, Atherton, Campbell, Cupertino, Gilroy, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Los Gatos, Menlo Park, Monte Sereno, Mountain View, East Palo Alto, Palo Alto, Portola Valley, Redwood City, San Carlos, North San Jose, West San Jose, Santa Clara, Saratoga, Stanford, Sunnyvale, Woodside.
Staging Items for Fast Residential Removal
It is best to leave the items in the following places:
- The garage is ideal,
- On your covered porch,
- In a storage unit in your building,or
- The closest place to your entrance.
- If you leave items outside, such as in the driveway or loading area, protect the items with a secured tarp.
We will be happy to talk to you. Please contact us directly, as these opportunities are considered on a case by case basis.
Minimum pickup fee for all donations: $145.00
- Pickups are scheduled within two weeks of contact with BAFB
- Pickup locations must be in Santa Clara or named parts of San Mateo County
- Donated items are on ground level and staged (no stairs or elevator)
Additional charges may apply for:
- Remote geographical location
- Access difficulty
- Locations outside our geographical area of operation
- Physical access to furniture
- Removals above ground level with no elevator
- Furniture disassembly prior to moving
The Service Fee allows BAFB to:
- Operate a highly experienced, professional furniture removal service
- Employ schedulers, drivers, navigators, and helpers to remove the items directly from your home or business, and move them to our warehouse facility
- Assist with overhead expenses associated with storage and staging space
- Help pay for the delivery costs of moving furniture to a family in need
- Sustain a 501 (C) (3) non-profit charity that is only partly funded by financial donations and grants
BAFB doesn’t estimate the value of the used items
If you need an itemized value of the items you want to donate, we recommend using this website to calculate the value of your used furniture: http://bluebookfurniture.com/
BAFB will provide a Donor Tax
A completed Donor Tax Form will be provided to you which will include your name, contact information, date of the donation, and a list of the donated items. In case of a large pickup, we will accept a compresensive list of item, which will be attached to your tax form.
Pickup Guidelines during COVID-19
Even though the County of Santa Clara has moved to the Yellow Tier, BAFB continues to safely proceed with Furniture Removal. For everyone’s safety, we follow these guidelines:
|1.||You move all items to be donated to one area of the house: The garage is ideal, on your porch, in the driveway or in a storage/loading area in your building or the closest place to your entrance.|
|2.||We ask that you vacuum all fabric and wipe clean all surfaces with bleach wipes or leave items untouched for 3 days for safety.|
|3.||Complete the Donate Furniture form, tell us who you are, your timing and other contact details as listed on the Donate Furniture form.|
Send photos of the furniture you wish to donate to help us review and determine if we can repurpose these items.
Include in your email, your name and phone number so that we can reach you with any questions we might have.
|5.||Our team will review your furniture donation form, advise you as to which items we can accept, and those we cannot, outline the costs, and review the COVID-19 precautions being taken for the safety of all.|
|6.||To avoid payment in person and keep the process contact-free, we will let you know of the cost of the removal, and ask you to pay that service fee on our “Donate Funds” page! We currently accept major credit cards and 100% of the funds go directly to charity operations.|
|7.||The day prior to your pickup, we will confirm your appointment, and on the day of, our driver will contact you with an estimated time of arrival.|
|8.||Furniture Bank’s trained and professional staff will remove your furniture donations at a safe distance by following the Santa Clara County Public Health guidelines. For the safety of all involved, keep a 6′ distance and wear face mask, when working with our crew.|
|9.||The only contact we will require is a signature on your tax receipt verifying your furniture has been collected.|
Who Receives your Furniture?
The Bay Area Furniture Bank’s mission is to promote dignity and stability in our community, by redirecting donated furniture to families in need.
Our clients are primarily low-income individuals and families who lack the resources to meet their most basic furniture needs. Most cannot afford to purchase beds to sleep on, or tables to eat on, and rely on our help to obtain them.
We serve all ages throughout the Santa Clara and San Mateo counties. While several agencies in the area work to connect low-income families to food and housing, BAFB is the only organization in Northern California focusing on providing furnishings and bedding to help families turn housing into a home.
We redirect gently used furniture and houseware items to better the lives of thousands of deserving families.