BAFB Ordering Process
- BAFB works on referral only, which means that
- Social Service Agencies are the ones who will be submitting requests for their eligible clients
- Individual clients cannot request furniture directly from the Bay Area Furniture Bank as it against our charter
- For safety reasons, our warehouse is not open to the public. Although we do offer accompanied tours of our warehouse to all case managers and social service workers. (Contact our office to schedule your group)
- All Clients’ infomation is treated with strict confidentiality
The Cost of the Furniture
- There is a cost to the furniture, this is not a free service
- Cost of the items are for the majority below those of our competitors
- There is no added taxes to the transaction
The Process of Ordering Furniture for a Client
- Case workers, need to find out from
- Their agency, what is the dollar amount available to cover the cost of the client’s furniture
- Their client, what items may have in storage or may be receiving from generous donors
- Their client or landlord the space available for furniture
- Case workers are encouraged to do a site visit to the client’s residence. During Covid-19, a Zoom call, WhatsApp or FaceTime maybe an alternative
- Look for any obstruction, measure the width and height of door frames, stairways, hallways, elevator
- If your client does not have a measuring tape, advise clients on alternative tools available to draw measurements (listed below on this page)
- A standard package of 8 basic items is available
- based on your clients’ needs and space,
- all of them may not be needed, or may not fit the client’s residence
- when placing an order, social workers will be given access to the price list and available furniture
- Additional items or adding multiple items of the same product to complement the standard package are available at cost (such as bookshelf, desk, lamp, dining chair or dresser, etc.)
- Beds and frames are priced separately
How to Measure Without a Tape Measure?
Case workers are encouraged to support clients and share with them how they can measure easily without measuring tapes. There are variety of ways to do so:
All your clients need is an object with a consistent length.
- PRINTER PAPER
A standard sheet of letter paper is exactly 8.5 inches by 11 inches.
Use either the long or short edge depending on the size of the surface you’re measuring.
- DOLLAR BILL
An easy way to measure without a tape measure is to use your cash.
A plain old dollar bill is approximately 6 inches long and 2.5 inches tall
- ARM SPAN
Sometimes referred to as WINGSPAN, is the physical measurement of the length from one end of an individual’s (measured at the fingertips) to the other when raised parallel to the ground at should height at a 90° angle.
The arm span measurement is usually very close to the person’s height.
- PRINT OUT A RULER
Instead of using a sheet of paper, why not go a step further and simply print out a ruler?
Here are some 12-inch ruler templates you can use in those moments when you absolutely need to be as accurate as possible.
- PRINTER PAPER
Where and How Do We Deliver?
- In Santa Clara County extra charge of $50 applies for deliveries to Morgan Hill, San Martin and Gilroy.
- In San Mateo County, East Palo Alto and Redwood City for the same extra charge of $50
- For all other counties, case workers will have to work with BAFB to arrance pick up
- BAFB sets the delivery schedule
- We deliver 3 to 4 times a week, depending on the demand
- Frequency: Deliveries can be scheduled Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday as the workload demands
- Time frame: We deliver almost always within 5 working days. If an order is received on a Monday or Tuesday, we will do everything possible to deliver the same week
- Orders received on Wednesday and Thursday may also be scheduled for the same week delivery – workload permitting
- BAFB sets the delivery schedule when we call clients
- Client are called three times, once BAFB receives the referral:
- To schedule the delivery date
- To confirm the delivery date, one or two days before the agreed upon delivery date
Client will be given an appointment time frame which is set the day before the delivery based on that day’s truck route
- To let the client know the delivery is on its way, and has left the previous stop (by BAFB driver)
- CANCELLATION & NO-SHOW
- If your client is unable to maintain their commitment on the scheduled date, we ask for a 48 hour cancellation notice whenever possible (so we can prevent us from loading the truck with items that will remain undelivered, when the space on the truck could have been used for items to be delivered another family in need)
- Messages left on the office voice mail after work hours, the day before the delivery will be considered no-show, as the truck would have already been loaded, locked and ready to go first thing in the morning with client’s order
If the client is a no-show at the time of the confirmed and agreed delivery date, we request a $125 fee to help re-cover the operational costs incurred
Have Additional Questions to Move Forward with a Referral?
Let us know how we can help you, help your clients
- Contact us by phone at 650-969-2100 or
- email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you.